Pancake Bread Pudding, I mean could this title be any sexier? The lightbulb moment for this recipe pinged in my head in the final hour of work on Friday. I was day dreaming about pancakes, as I do around this time every year in my excitement for Shrove Tuesday, thinking how can I change up Pancake Day this year?
I wanted to give it a bit of a twist and suddenly bread and butter pudding just appeared in my head. Pancake Bread Pudding.
Whenever I have a lightbulb moment like this I immediately turn to google to check if I am onto something, or if I’ve simply just missed the memo completely. While the genius was there in my head, sadly I haven’t hit the jackpot and won’t be patenting the idea as it does in fact exist. Some call it a Pancake Casserole, others also go by the name Pancake Bread Pudding either way it’s the same concept with various different flavours.
My favourite pancakes are blueberry and lemon so obviously this was my flavour combination of choice. I can’t begin to tell you how excited I was making it. I had Send my on my way by Rusted Roots (aka the Matilda pancake song) on full blast in joy. The 2 hour wait for the cinnamon and honey egg mixture to soak was torture but I can promise it is well worth the wait.
Blueberry Pancake Bread Pudding
For the pancakes
- 200 g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 250 ml milk
- 80 ml sour cream
- 1 egg large
- 250 g Bluberries
Cinnamon and Honey Egg Mixture
- 250 ml double cream
- 250 ml milk
- 4 eggs large
- 50 g honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the pancakes
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and salt in a large bowl and leave to one side.
- In another bowl add the milk, sour cream and egg and whisk together. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk together until smooth.Pour the mixture into a pouring bowl or jug ready to be cooked.
- Heat a large frying pan and add a tsp of butter. Pour 4 pancakes (or more if there is space) into the frying pan and leave until the edges appear dry and the surfaces are bubbling. Flip them over and cook on the other side, then turn them out onto a plate while you cook the rest of the batter.
- Cut the pancakes in half and add them flat side down to a 20cm x 30cm baking dish. Scatter over 200g blueberries, ensuring get some in-between the pancakes, and leave to one side.
For the cinnamon and egg mixture
- In a bowl add the cream, milk, cinnamon, honey, eggs, lemon zest and vanilla extract into a large bowl or jug and combine well.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the pancakes and leave in the fridge for 2 hours
- Preheat the oven to 180C and bake the pancake bread pudding for 40 minutes until golden and puffy.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle over honey and the remaining pancakes.
- Serve with sour cream, ice cream or custard!
Excellent blog here! Also your web site loads
up very fast! What web host are you using?
Can I get your affiliate link to your host?
I wish my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol
Wonderful blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
Would you advise starting with a free platform
like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are
so many choices out there that I’m completely confused
.. Any suggestions? Appreciate it!
Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard
on. Any tips?
Cool blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from
somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would
really make my blog shine. Please let me know where you got
your theme. Appreciate it
Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!
Very helpful info particularly the last part 🙂 I care for such information much.
I was looking for this particular information for a long time.
Thank you and best of luck.
Link exchange is nothing else except it is just placing the other
person’s weblog link on your page at proper place and
other person will also do similar in support of you.
My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post’s
to be exactly what I’m looking for. Would you offer guest writers to write content for you personally?
I wouldn’t mind creating a post or elaborating on a few of
the subjects you write regarding here. Again, awesome blog!
I enjoy what you guys are usually up too. Such clever work and coverage!
Keep up the superb works guys I’ve included you
guys to my personal blogroll.
Where is the lemon zest listed? How much?
One thing is always that one of the most prevalent incentives for making use of your card is a cash-back and also rebate supply. Generally, you will get 1-5 back with various expenses. Depending on the credit cards, you may get 1 returning on most buying, and 5 back on expenditures made in convenience stores, gas stations, grocery stores as well as ‘member merchants’.