A rich chocolate brownie cupcake flavoured with Cherries, filled with a surprise cherry jam centre and topped with a cherry jam buttercream and chocolate coated cherry. It’s safe to say this a chocolate and cherry lovers dream.Jump to Recipe
WHAT ARE BROWNIE CUPCAKES?
If a brownie and a cupcake made children this is what they would become! Unlike cupcakes where the flour, butter and sugar ratio follows 1:1:1 these cupcakes side more with the brownie ratios and have a higher sugar content to butter (which is what gives them the sticky texture)
The method also follows the same process as Brownies with the butter and sugar being whisked together, followed by eggs, chocolate and finally folding through the flour. The one difference which lightens it up is the addition of milk!
THE BEST THINGS ABOUT BAKING WITH HOT CHOCOLATE POWDER
I’ve said countless times how much I love baking with Hot Chocolate. Not only is it the best substitute for cocoa powder but when its flavoured like the Whittard UK ones then it also doubles up as a flavouring essence. It’s a 2 for the price of 1 kinda ingredient!
THE WHITTARD CHERRY HOT CHOCOLATE
The Cherry Brownie Hot Chocolate is the newest limited edition flavour to hit the Whittard shelves, and it does not disappoint. The milk chocolate fusion of buttery brownie and sweet juicy cherry has to make it my favourite flavour of theirs yet!
The great added benefit is that it’s both Vegetarian and Vegan friendly, plus it’s Gluten Free so literally anyone and everyone can use it.
This edition is limited especially for Valentine’s Day and is available to buy online at whittard.co.uk now for just £9 a tub.
Whittard Hot Chocolate
Cherry Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes
Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes
- 110 g butter melted
- 150 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp Whittard Limited Edition Chocolate Cherry Hot Chocolate powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120 ml milk
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 170 g plain flour
- 12 tsp cherry jam
- 150 g butter softened
- 300 g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cherry jam
- 12 fresh cherries
- 100 g dark chocolate melted
Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners and preheat your oven to 170C
- Add the butter and sugar to a bowl and mix until well combined
- Beat in the eggs, milk and vanilla
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and hot chocolate powder and mix well
- Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients bowl and fold it through to form a smooth batter
- Split the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases and bake for 20 minutes
- While its baking melt your dark chocolate in a bowl, then dip your 12 cherries into the melted chocoalte and leave on baking paper to set. Leave to one side.
- Beat the butter and icing sugar together until smooth and fluffy then add the cherry jam and fold it through until the buttercream is tinted pink
- Fill a piping bag with your buttercream and pipe buttercream swirls onto your cupcakes then top each cupcake with a chocolate dipped cherry.