Start your day with a sweet smile after eating these delicious Hot Chocolate Pancakes. These light and fluffy chocolate pancakes are loaded with chocolate chips and topped with whipped cream, chocolate sauce and marshmallows, the only way a hot chocolate should be. Serve these up for the perfect sweet breakfast treat!
When I think of hot chocolate I’m immediately transported to a slope side restaurant in the snowy alps sipping a huge mug of hot chocolate topped with a pile of cream and mini marshmallows. It’s quite possible that this is one my favourite parts of the entire trip when we go skiing and there really is nothing better than that first taste of hot chocolate after a long morning on the slopes.
However, with skiing only being an occasional experience I wanted to be able to feed that craving whenever it called but in a more indulgent and exciting way; enter these Hot Chocolate Pancakes.
Although we know and love Pancakes as a breakfast dish, these pancakes could easily be devoured at any time of day. The chocolate indulgence of these Hot Chocolate Pancakes makes them especially great for pudding, but I most certainly wouldn’t stop you making these first thing in the morning!!
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
All the delicious flavours of a hot chocolate | Hot Chocolate can evoke such lovely memories of our childhood (or skiing trips) and these pancakes literally taste just like one. The chocolate pancakes is studded with chocolate chips which melt in the heat of the pancakes making them lovely and gooey. Then the whipped cream, chocolate sauce and marshmallows make it a fully loaded indulgent meal, like all hot chocolates should be
Super light and fluffy | These pancakes get made even more delicious by adding whipped egg white to the batter. Folding the egg whites gently through the mixture help make them super light and airy.
Adapt to make them your own | The beauty of pancakes is that you can mix up the flavours as you wish. These are really indulgent covered in cream and chocolate sauce but if you want to freshen them up you could try adding some fresh strawberries or raspberries. Alternatively you could add any other sauce of choice to change up the flavour.
HOW TO MAKE THESE HOT CHOCOLATE PANCAKES
These Hot Chocolate Pancakes are incredibly easy to make, but there is special step that helps make them as light and fluffy as air and it doesn’t take much longer than a few extra minutes, so it’s well worth it.
1. Sift together dry ingredients | Begin by sifting the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a large bowl and then setting it to one side.
2. Combine wet ingredients | In a separate medium bowl beat together the egg yolks and sugar until combined then add in the milk and vanilla and whisk them all together.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients | Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture folding the two together until just combined.
4. Add chocolate chips | Add the chocolate chips and mix them through.
5. Whip up egg whites | To make these pancakes super light and fluffy we want to add lots of air to the batter. Adding whipped egg whites is the perfect way to do this so whip up your egg whites until they have formed stiff peaks. I use a hand mixer for this for you can do this by hand if you’d prefer the exercise.
5. Add egg whites to the batter | Once the egg whites are ready gently fold them through the batter with a rubber spatula until they’re just mixed in. Be careful to fold gently as you don’t want to knock out any of the air that’s just been created.
6. Cook pancakes | To cook the pancakes heat up a wide base frying pan and melt a knob of butter until the surface is well coated. Use a measuring cup or ice cream scoop to portion out some pancake batter, depending on the size of your pan you will be able to cook about 2-3 at a time.
Cook the pancakes for 1-2 minutes on each side. Pop all the cooked pancakes on a plate and leave them in a warm oven while you cook the rest of the pancakes
7. Make chocolate sauce | To make the chocolate sauce, add the chocolate chips and cream to bowl and heat them together in a microwave or in a pan until melted. Loosen the sauce up a little with a drop of boiling water until you have the consistency of pouring cream
8. Stack and load em up | Stack up the pancakes then start by adding a generous swirl of whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate sauce and a scattering of marshmallows.
TOOLS YOU WILL NEED
Now you know how to make these delicious Hot Chocolate Pancakes, here are some of the key tools you’ll need to whip them up.
Electric Hand Whisk
Large Frying Pan
Shop these tools
I would love it if you tagged me @mykitchendrawer on Instagram if you make these Hot Chocolate Pancakes. It’s the biggest honour to see my recipes come to life in your kitchen and if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to drop me a message or let’s chat in the comments. Happy baking!
Hot Chocolate Pancakes
For the chocolate pancakes
- 185 g plain flour
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs large
- 65 g caster sugar
- 240 ml milk
- 20 g melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 40 g chocolate chips
For the chocolate sauce
- 50 g chocolate chips
- 150 ml double cream
- 3 tbsp milk or hot water
- Whipped cream
- Mini Marshmallows
For the chocolate pancakes
- In a large bowl sieve the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder then set aside
- In a separate bowl beat together egg yolk, sugar and milk and mix until just combined.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and then pour in the wet mixture whisking it through until just combined.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks then add 1/2 to the batter and fold it through with a rubber spatula.
- Add the remaining egg whites and chocolate chips and fold it all together until combined.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and melt small knobs of butter just enough to coat the surface. Use as small measuring cup or an ice cream scoop to pour the batter into the pan and cook pancakes until bubbles start to pop through the batter. Depending on the pan size you could cook 2-3 at a time.
- Flip the pancakes and cook the other side then repeat with the remaining batter. Leave the cooked pancakes on a plate in a warm oven then leave them all there once cooked while you make the chocolate sauce.
For the chocolate sauce
- Put the chocolate chips and cream into a heatproof bowl and heat them together in a microwave for 40 seconds. Stir the two together until smooth then add the milk and mix it through until to loosen the mixture to a pourable sauce consistency.
- Stack the pancakes up onto a plate then top with whipped cream, followed by a generous drizzle of the warm chocolate sauce and marshmallows.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!